Bee Cave Adult Orthodontics
You’re never too old for braces. Orthodontists report having patients into their 70s and 80s. About one in four orthodontics patients are adults, who come in for various reasons:
- They never had braces when they were young and have finally decided it is time to be able to smile with confidence.
- They had braces when they were younger, but their teeth have relapsed and are out of alignment again.
- They have learned that having straight teeth makes them easier to clean and more resistant to gum disease, tooth decay, and excessive wear.
Are you interested? To help you decide, Dr. Tostado offers a complimentary consultation. He will spend time with you, look at your teeth, listen to your goals, give his opinion about your best options, and answer any questions.
Our teeth have a tendency to want to go back to the position they were in before our orthodontic treatment. This can usually be prevented by wearing the retainer your dentist provided after your orthodontic treatment as prescribed. However, while many patients can discontinue wearing the retainer after a few years, some adults need to continue to wear theirs throughout their lives at night.
As a result, some adults who had braces when they were younger experience relapse. The good news is this can be treated much more quickly than your original treatment and there are many more options in how that is done.
The Value of a Smile
If you wish you weren’t embarrassed to smile, it’s not too late to get that confident smile, and there are a benefits for you. Psychologists have written a lot about the effects of smiling. Here are some of the points they make:
- People are more attracted to others who smile.
- Smiling is a way that we indicate that we like someone or approve of them.
- Smiling increases mood-enhancing hormones such as endorphins, and decreases stress-enhancing hormones such as cortisol. See this article from Walden University about the benefits of smiling.
Options for Adult Braces
Dr. Tostado believes in presenting each patient with their full range of options. In your complimentary consultation, he will present those to you.
Invisible braces are popular with adults. These systems use clear aligners that are invisible at a conversational distance. He uses two principle clear aligner systems, Invisalign and Spark Aligners. You can click the links to read more about these options, their pros and cons.
Others prefer a more traditional system that uses wires and brackets. There is a more advanced option for these now using the Damon System.
To schedule your complimentary initial consultation, you may call our office or request an appointment through our online form.