Bee Cave Damon System Orthodontics
Achieve your goal for straighter teeth and a broader, healthier smile with the Damon System, low-profile clear or stainless-steel braces that are much more comfortable than ceramic braces. You can get Damon braces from Bee Cave orthodontist Dr. Alberto Tostado in Bee Cave.
What Are Damon Braces?
Damon braces are an orthodontic system that uses self-ligating brackets. Instead of elastics or ties attaching the archwire to the brackets, self-ligating brackets have clips that keep the wire in place and allow it to move freely. Brackets are available in stainless steel or clear ceramic.
What Types of Cases Does the Damon System Treat?
The Damon System treats all types of orthodontic concerns, including:
- Crossbite – Upper teeth sit behind lower teeth when you bite down.
- Crowded teeth – Teeth are too close, overlap, or are uneven due to lack of space.
- Spacing – Missing teeth, small teeth, or a large jaw can cause gaps between teeth.
- Open bite – Upper and lower front teeth do not overlap when back teeth are together, or upper and lower back teeth do not meet when front teeth are together.
- Overbite – Upper front teeth excessively overlap the bottom front teeth.
- Underbite – Lower teeth sit in front of upper teeth.
Below is an example of how the Damon System precisely aligns teeth and achieves beautiful results.
What Are the Advantages of the Damon System Orthodontics?
The comfort, number of checkup appointments, and treatment time for the Damon System are superior to traditional braces.
- Better aesthetics – Small metal or ceramic brackets are less bulky and noticeable than traditional metal braces.
- More comfortable – An archwire that slides in the brackets produces less friction instead of being held by elastics. Tooth movement is gentler and much more comfortable.
- Fewer checkups – Dr. Tostado will not need to adjust elastics on the braces so that you will have checkup visits every eight to twelve weeks instead of every six to ten weeks, as with traditional braces.
- Efficient tooth movement – Frictionless tooth movement is more efficient than treatment with the interference of elastics.
- Shorter treatment time – The precision of Damon braces can shorten treatment time by up to six months compared with traditional braces.
- Better oral hygiene – It is easier to floss, brush your teeth, and clean around the brackets without elastics.
- Broader smile – The Damon System widens your arches for a fuller, more appealing smile.
How Long Is Treatment with Damon Braces?
The average treatment time with Damon braces is 12 to 18 months. Each patient’s case is unique, so Dr. Tostado will determine your treatment plan based on several factors, including:
- Your oral health
- The complexity of your case
- Your compliance with your treatment plan
Do Damon Braces Hurt?
You will feel discomfort when Dr. Tostado first attaches the braces to your teeth. Also, you will feel mild discomfort for a couple of days as the braces shift your teeth to new positions.
What Can I Eat While Wearing Damon Braces?
You can enjoy most foods while wearing Damon braces. However, avoid crunchy, hard, or sticky foods because they could damage the brackets. Limiting the frequency of meals can help prevent tooth decay. Eat well-balanced, nutritious meals daily to promote healthy teeth and gums.
How to Take Care of Your Teeth and Braces
Develop an oral hygiene routine that will help your treatment go smoothly.
- Rinse your mouth with water after meals to loosen food particles that may get stuck around your braces.
- If food is allowed to remain around the brackets, it will cause decalcification of your teeth, leaving you with white or brown spots when the brackets are removed. It’s important to brush your teeth after every time you eat. Carry a brush with you so that you can do this.
- Floss daily to remove debris and minimize plaque buildup. Floss threaders will enable you to thread the floss under the archwire.
Schedule a Consultation for Damon Braces
After an exam and panoramic X-ray, Dr. Tostado can determine whether Damon braces can give you a healthier, broader smile. Contact us to schedule a consultation or complete our appointment request form.